The Challenges Facing Healthcare & How HITRUST Can Help
The Healthcare industry currently faces strict regulatory needs, causing many challenges when considering the options for risk management and mitigation. These challenges include but are not limited to:
- Inconsistent implementation of acceptable minimum controls.
- Inefficiencies associated with varying interpretation of control objectives and safeguards.
- Increasing scrutiny from regulators, auditors, underwriters, customers and business partners.
- Growing risk and liability including data breaches, regulatory violations and extortion.
- Public and regulatory concern over industry breaches.
- Inability to implement security in medical devices and applications.
- Rapidly changing business, technology, and regulatory environment.
In order to mitigate these challenges, HITRUST can be implemented to minimize risk and alleviate healthcare pain points.
What is HITRUST?
HITRUST, or the Health Information Trust Alliance, was established to create a certifiable standard to approach regulatory compliance and risk. Developed in collaboration with healthcare and security professionals, this framework provides a comprehensive, flexible and consistent system to address compliance and manage risk. Because of this, it is the most widely adopted framework in the healthcare industry. Controls can be tailed based on the following factors:
- Organization size and type
- System complexity and use
- Regulatory requirements
At its core, the HITRUST CSF (Common Security Framework) is built upon other standards and authoritative sources relevant to the healthcare industry, including ISO 27001, NIST SP 800-53 Rev4, HIPAA: Security, Breach and Privacy rules, and can be completed according to SOC 2 criteria. In compiling these standards, HITRUST is able to align existing controls and requirements from standards, regulations, business and third-party requirements by incorporating compliance and risk management principles. HITRUST supports CSF certification and defines a process to effectively and efficiently evaluate security and compliance risk, which includes the HIPAA Final Rule Requirement. Annual updates to the HITRUST framework are based on:
- New security standards and regulations
- Changes to existing authoritative sources
- Breach data
- Industry feedback, best practices and lessons learned.
Advantages of HITRUST Implementation
Consistent. With a single benchmarking method, HITRUST leverages and enhances existing standards and regulations to provide organization of any size with prescriptive implementation requirements.
Efficient. Obtains industry consensus and incorporates best practices on the most effective way to address information security.
Cost-reducing. With a single, unified approach to compliance across the organization, it allows service organizations to be assessed once, and reported often.
Risk-minimization. The facilitation of internal and external measurement incorporates existing healthcare compliance requirements. Implementation increases trust and transparency among business partners and consumers.
Is HITRUST implementation right for your organization?
Contact us today at email@example.com or call 1-888-702-5446 to find out your options for data protection and compliance.